Bi-Staters' Coffee Talk
Delmar has a lot of young people who we are very proud of. We send our congratulations to:
- The Delmar Wildcats, Division II second consecutive state football champions,
- Henlopen Conference/Mason-Dixon Coach of the Year, David Hearn
- The Delmar High School band and color guard for taking first place in the Seaford Fire Department Parade.
- Lisa Wright for being selected for the Hugh O'Brien Youth Leadership Seminar.
- The three Delmar students who were selected for All-State Chorus: Katie Collingsworth for mixed voice chorus and Ashley Johnson and Katrice Hull for the female only chorus.
- Stephanie Davis, who has been named a 2002 student ambassador to Australia in the People to People Student Ambassador Program. She will travel over the summer.
- The Middle School Math League team, which placed third out of 12 teams in a meet at Sussex Central Middle School. Team members included Amanda McGinnity, Alicia Mills, Rebecca Mir, Alex Schaub, Katie Smith and Cara Tamosaitis.
- Mark DeMorra, Ashley Fisher and Ashley Stehl, who represented Delmar at the 18th annual Eastern Shore High School Mathematics Competition at Salisbury University last month.
- Shauneen Giuidice, who has been selected to receive an Earthwatch Education Technology Fellowship and will travel to Costa Rica from Dec. 26 through Jan. 8. She will work with Earthwatch scientists, and communicate with students via the web. Giuidice has also been selected to present a poster at the annual meeting of Science Innovation Exposition in Boston in February.
- Faith Melvin, Angela Bucy and Lisa West, who are participating in a two-day workshop "We the People: Project Citizen." The project is a middle level civics education program designed to promote responsible participation in state and local government.
- Colleen McDowell, who has established a German Club for students. Twelve are currently participating and are learning German language and about its culture. Delmar's foreign exchange student Tobias Kurth is assisting with the program.
- Kathy Noonan and Ellen Dysart, who are serving on School Review Teams for the state of Delaware. They are assisting schools that are "under improvement."
Dysart has also presented a Reading Mathematics workshop for the Delaware Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
- Elvira Mollock, who competed in the Ms. Teen for Sussex County competition. She was titled Miss Congeniality and Best Dressed and awarded a $ 50 savings bond.
- Social worker Marilyn Searcey, who represented Delmar at the Executive Summit: The Big Picture, The State of the State's Children in Newark. The program will help develop support networks in Delaware for students.
- Spanish students of the month at Delmar High School Joleen Schilling, Jessica See, Renee' Bradford, Jacob Hartman and Ashley Stehl.
- Eighth-grade English student of the month Cory Manvell.
- Winners in the eighth-grade design competition in art: first place, Tommy Alexander; second place, Lee Stevenson; and third place, David Cain. In the fashion design category the winners were: first place, Maranda Serman; second place, Rebecca Mir and Amanda Vickers; and third place, Diana Penn.
Friends of Amanda Hearn wish her a very happy birthday on Dec. 22.
Happy birthday to Connie Reustle on Dec. 26 from your friends in Delmar.
Delmar Public Library news
The Delmar Public Library will be closed Dec. 31 and Jan. 1. The library will be opened both week, Wednesday through Saturday, at its regular hours. There will be no children's story time today, Dec. 27.
The winners of the October Incentive reading program at Delmar Elementary School are pictured at the library. The school treated the students to a lunch and a ride to the library on an old-fashioned fire truck. Also, the students received new books from the library to add to their home book collection. Students are: pre-kindergarten, Benjamin Mitchell; kindergarten, Billy Adkins; grade one, Moshe Zrien; grade two, Fantasia Wright; grade three, Darren Reid; grade four, Andrew Reid; grade five, Ariel Blankenship.
The latest additions to the children's video collection are: "Blues Clues Cafˇ Blue," "Dora the Explorer: To the Rescue," "Little Bill: What I Did at School," "Mary Kate & Ashley Favorite Parties," "How the Grinch Stole Christmas," "Prancer Returns," "Barbie in the Nutcracker," "Mickey's Magical Christmas: Snowed In," "Santa Who?" and "Whispers: An Elephant's Tale."