Cause of Seaford restaurant fire traced to electrical malfunction

By Lynn R. Parks

The Pizza King restaurant on Stein Highway in Seaford closed after a Monday-morning fire that caused $15,000 in damages. On Tuesday, restaurant owner Brad Baynum was unable to say when the eatery would reopen. "We are waiting for the insurance company right now, but our hopes are to reopen as soon as possible," he said. Investigators with the state fire marshal's office have ruled that the fire started in an exterior wall and was caused by an electrical malfunction. The fire alarm was called in at 10:18 a.m. when Pizza King employees smelled smoke. The Seaford Volunteer Fire Department responded to the blaze and was assisted by firefighters from Blades and Bridgeville. "We are especially grateful to the fire departments," Baynum said.

No injuries were reported in the fire. The fire marshal's office said that employees as well as people eating in the restaurant were able to leave the building without incident. In addition to praising the firefighters, Baynum thanked the community. "I want to thank the people of Seaford for all their help and support," he said. And as for Pizza King employees, who find themselves out of work a week before Christmas, Baynum said that they shouldn't worry. "Our employees will be taken care of over the holidays," he said. Stein Highway in front of the restaurant was blocked while firefighters worked to find the fire's origin. A hole was cut in the roof by the firemen over the southwest corner of the restaurant.

News tips wanted
Call us with ideas for news and features. We're always looking for good stories to share with readers. Call Bryant Richardson at 629-9788.