Streets, sidewalks and water projects nearing completion

By Lynn R. Parks

Drivers traveling in the Seaford area since mid-July have encountered work zones at many intersections. Employees with David A. Bramble Inc. Construction, Chestertown, Md., are repaving streets and installing sidewalk ramps.

Tina Shockley, spokeswoman for the Delaware Department of Transportation, said that the work, which started July 19, is expected to last through the first week of October.

The work is being done at six locations, Shockley, said: two spots on Stein Highway, along Shipley Street, on Virginia Avenue, on Middleford Road and on Delaware 20 east of U.S. 13. Crews are milling off old pavement, putting on hot mix and where there are sidewalks, installing the ramps, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act guidelines.

On Stein Highway, intersections that already have traffic lights are getting pedestrian signals.

Shockley said that the total cost of the project is about $1.9 million, nearly half of which is for the two Stein Highway locations.

The bulk of that cost, 80 percent, is being paid for by the federal government and the remaining 20 percent by the state.

The city has no involvement in the project other than responding when necessary to questions from the public, said city manager Dolores Slatcher. The city, however, has an ongoing project of its own, to improve its water system. That project also includes road work.

The $1.756 million project, 52 percent of which is being paid by federal stimulus dollars, involves replacing water mains and eliminating dead-end water pipes in Westview, along Bridgeville Highway, in the area of Sussex Avenue and Tull Drive and along Atlanta Road. Contractor is Bunting and Murray Construction, Selbyville.

Slatcher said that in the Westview area, final paving is expected to start the week of Sept. 13. City workers are also installing new streetlights in the neighborhood. Work along Bridgeville Highway is under way; work along Atlanta Road will be done last.

In July, the city council approved an addition to the project to enable the city to replace piping and meter pits along Sussex Avenue. Slatcher was unable to say when that work will be complete.

News tips wanted
Call us with ideas for news and features. We're always looking for good stories to share with readers. Call Bryant Richardson at 629-9788.